Millets have become a staple in our house for quite sometime now. Foxtail millet is excellent in pongal/khichdi, and it comes out so soft, flavourful and perfect that you will never miss rice in this recipe. This is a one pot meal, so perfect for all those lazy weekend mornings!
Goes well with any sambhar or chutney.
- Foxtail millets 1 cup
- Yellow moog dal 1/4th cup
- Water 4 cups
- Any oil 2 tsps
- Curry leaves, dry red chillies, as per your taste. I took 3 red chillies.
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Cashew nuts 7-8
- Pepper corns 1 tsp
- Ginger, peeled and grated 2 tsp
- Jeera seeds 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Soak the millets in water, for around 15-20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Take a pressure cooker/pressure pan, and heat some oil in it. Add mustard seeds to it. When it splutters, add the pepper corns and jeera seeds.
- Now add the curry leaves, ginger, red chillies, cashew nuts, asafoetida and sauté well. This will give a nice aroma at this stage.
- Now add the washed and drained yellow moong dal, and saute for a minute.
- Add the millets, water and salt to taste. Mix well.
- When the water starts to boil, close the pressure cooker. cook till 4-5 whistles.
- When the pressure goes, open the cooker, and nicely mix the pongal. If you wish you can sprinkle some freshly grated coconut on top before serving.